Kendra Thornton Fashion Challenge

Miami Fashion Challenge



I am always up for a good challenge. Especially if it's one that I can do from my couch. Ha! Well, I recently received an email from a Ms. Kendra Thornton inviting me to participate in a fashion challenge. She's looking for one day and one evening look for an upcoming romantic getaway to Miami, so basically I get to play virtual stylist! Sounds fun to me! She's in PR, a travel expert, a wife, and a mom of three. Here are the details she sent me:

"I love using the internet to learn about places to go, things to see, and fashions to wear. I enjoy sharing and getting tips from other travel gurus concerning places to stay. Currently, I’m planning a romantic vacation with my husband, and I’m looking forward to getting fashion advice to make the trip a success. After discovering gogobot I found the perfect hotel for our stay in Miami. We’ll be guests in the Everglades Suite at the Biltmore Hotel. Built in 1926, this hotel is the only Florida hotel designated as a National Historic Landmark. The building has been fully restored and is popular with heads-of-state and other dignitaries visiting South Beach. Naturally, during a stay at a venue like this, I want to look timeless and fashionable. Any stay in Miami features plenty of succulent dining options. I’m looking forward to an evening enjoying delectable French cuisine at Palme D’or. When dressing for this evening of dining in, I want to look smart and elegant. I would love both one day and night look for this trip. During the day I want to look for sophisticated and at night sexy with a classic twist. I know I’ll enjoy my time there even more when I feel confident in the fashions I’m wearing. That’s why I can’t wait to learn what recommendations you have for my new tropical look!"

When I think of Miami, I usually think of coral-colored tops, breezy dresses, linen trousers, and thong sandals. My personal style is evolving, however, and I am much more drawn to neutral colors these days. In years past, this post would have included lots of bright colors, but now, I am reaching for heather grey, black, beige, tan, and nude. So, Kendra, I am afraid there isn't anything very "tropical" about these looks, which are definitely heavily influenced by my personal style. I do enjoy pops of color, though, so that's why I added a colorful cuff bracelet and bright evening shoes. Also, the hat is actually more of a golden yellow, which is difficult to tell in the photo.

In Kendra's description of her weekend plans, the words that resonated with me were "classic," "sexy," and "sophisticated," so here's my rationale behind each look: First, I chose tops that I thought could transition well from day to evening. Day 1: A grey silk top with frayed denim shorts and classic black leather sandals for art gallery shopping. Then in the evening, change from shorts to black cigarette pants and crystal-encrusted heels for dinner at Palme D'or. Day 2: Nautical top with frayed denim shorts and black leather sandals for casual sightseeing. Then in the evening, change into black cigarette pants for a Cuban soul food dinner. I chose classic nautical stripes because I think tucked into the shorts with an elegant belt, it can be a clean, smart look. The frayed shorts make the outfit a bit more young, fresh, and on-trend. The retro-style sunglasses are a nod to the vintage accommodations. The simple leather tote is pure sophistication. The heels add that bit of sexy to an otherwise simple outfit. Finally, the Cartier trinity necklace is thrown in for good measure since this is a romantic trip for two ;)

I hope you enjoy checking out my ideas, Kendra, as much as I enjoyed putting them together :)

Details:
Silk Top -- Otte New York
Black Pants -- Michael Kors
Crystal Shoes -- Giuseppe Zanotti
Necklace -- Cartier
Leather Tote -- Everlane
Leather Belt -- Everlane
Leather Sandals -- Everlane
Striped Top -- Saint James
Denim Shorts -- Frame
Panama Hat -- San Francisco Hat Co. via Sonnet James
Sunglasses -- Stella McCartney
Handmade Cuff Bracelet -- Evocateur

(Clicking on the collage will direct you to Polyvore where you can access more information about each item. The photos of each item were taken from the various online retailers listed below my Polyvore set.)

No comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Words cannot express how much I appreciate your comments!

Copyright © Amanda Freerksen 2008-. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.
Maira G.