Our Dinner Guest: The Cauliflower


Cauliflower joins us for dinner at least two times a week in many different forms: as pizza crust, in soups, with garbanzo beans (recipe below), and more. I'd even like to try it as faux oatmeal (lots of info about the veggie in that link) and faux rice. 

The only other time I remember paying any mind to cauliflower was back circa 2003 when my mom and I did the Palm Beach Diet (remember that?) and she would make us faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower and cream cheese -- so yummy!

It's a vegetable that's been popping up a lot in my facebook and blog reader feeds, so I thought I'd dedicate a post to my favorite recipe. I adapted the following recipe from one I got in my Farmers' Market Box. It's intended to be a side dish, but we bulk it up to make it a vegetarian main dish at least once a week. It's one of those dishes that I've made so many times that it's part of my repertoire, so you won't find any measurements below. The ingredients are so simple, so just add to your liking!



Curried Cauliflower with Garbanzo Beans

Ingredients:
1 large head of cauliflower
1 large onion (I like purple to add color.)
(Optional: Add a couple sweet potatoes or a bunch of fingerling potatoes to add some more bulk.)
1 can of garbanzo beans
1 can of tomato paste
olive oil
apple cider vinegar
curry powder
salt and pepper

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 400 F.
-Chop cauliflower and arrange on baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
-Chop onion and sprinkle over cauliflower.
-Drain beans and add to baking sheet.
-Mix can of tomato paste in a bowl with remaining ingredients to taste.
-Pour tomato paste mixture over the cauliflower, onion, and beans. Mix well.
-Place baking sheet in oven for 45-55 minutes.

Enjoy!

1 comment

  1. i loooove me some cauliflower! currently stuck on garlic 'mashed' cauliflower...so good. but actually i love it plain too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Words cannot express how much I appreciate your comments!

Copyright © Amanda Freerksen 2008-. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.
Maira G.